Monday, May 7, 2012

The Ordinary

IMG_0465

It’s 2:45 in the afternoon. The washing machine and dryer are hard at work, one kid is babbling as loud as his 1 year-old lungs will let him from his crib, the other 2 are making up a game that I just know will end with tears or tattle-tailing; probably both. I have meat defrosting for dinner tonight. DVD’s are strewn all over the living room floor. Its been a typical day, not anything spectacular for a Monday. But my heart is full of joy. Want to know why?

There’s a whole bunch of mini reasons:

1. Got some good news in emails.

2. A close friend called reminding me that I am supposed to be starting another project and she’s on board.

3. Signed the boys up for VBS.

4. Got to pray with another friend about some BIG news of hers.

5. Tonight I’ll have clean bedding from the mattress pad all the way to my quilt and throw pillows .

6. My husband owes me a favor. Don’t you love it when your husband owes you? We don’t usually keep score, but he’s going to pay up.

7. It is warm and the sun is out big time. Love sunny California weather.

8. My boys are now laughing together in their room.

9. Read a good article. It’s on my sidebar titled, “The Apron” if you’d like to check it out.

10. It’s a typical ordinary not-spectacular day, I’ve been up since 5:15am with probably another 5 hours of work, but whose counting when you feel like you have the best job in the world?

Okay its now 8:09 pm and I’m still trying to grab a minute to finish this post. The afternoon went a bit downhill after I started typing. I’d type all of the details, but seriously I don’t even want to remember them, so there’s no point in typing them out. Last week I had a day. You know those days when everything goes wrong, you can’t get anything done, your kids are getting on every last nerve and pretty much everything is just upsetting you? It was a very rare occasion. So I sat down and watched this video. I do that every so often. Puts things in perspective for me.

Today I was on the verge good day gone bad, but I just wasn’t about to let it go bad, so I let my boys watch their favorite cartoon Alvin and the Chipmunks, I made dinner and we survived until Mr. Dunbar got home- when everything always gets better. We had a nice family dinner and now my boys are fast asleep snuggled in their beds, the Dodgers game is on TV and I’m about to take a hot shower. (In peace.)

Today I had the gift of one of those extraordinary ordinary days.

May there be 10,000 more days like this.

5 comments:

Nicolle said...

Love this picture, and absolutely love what you wrote here. xo.

Jensamom23 said...

What a beautiful post! Beauty is truly in the mundane, everyday tasks and event if only we look. Blessings!

Genn said...

I love your posts Irene.
I love that you are so real.
I'm glad you didn't let the downhill of the afternoon ruin your etraordinary ordinary day. Good stuff.

:) ps- yes we do need to set our shopping date.

and we'd love to have the dunbars over sometime for a bbq!

Megan said...

Wow, that s a lovely picture. Your day sounds very familiar and I love that you got to pray with a friend.

Sabrina said...

I have lots of those good days on the verge of going bad. It really is about perspective isn't it? I am going to check out that video now...

:)