Sunday, October 24, 2010

highs and lows and highs

Monkey finally had his mouth procedure taken care of on Friday morning. There was something about my kid being “put under” that really freaked me out. The anesthesiologist called me the night before to go over the proceedings. The call was meant to calm and inform me, only it hyped my state of worry up about 10 knots. I slept like 3.5 hours on Thursday night I was so worried he would respond to the medications like I had; horribly.

On Friday morning Mr. Dunbar flew in 45 minutes before Monkey’s appointment, so my dad picked him up from the airport and they met us at the dental office. *Thanks, Dad.* Seeing Mr. Dunbar calmed both Monkey and I. IMG_6428

The anesthesiologist was really good with Monkey. He talked to him, told him (in kid terms) what was going to happen, asked him to show off his big strong muscles, and made the initial drug part as painless as possible. IMG_6426 IMG_6424

I think it was the fact that I sort of knew more of what to expect than Mr. Dunbar did, that I was able to just sort of throw him in the hot seat. It made me feel better, but not Mr. Dunbar. I know, wife of the year over here.   After this initial shot, Monkey got this glazed look in his eyes and went right to sleep.IMG_6432 Xrays were taken after Monkey was asleep and we were able to see him again, while the pediadontist explained what the complete plan of action was. They took us back to the surgical room once he was already under. That is a vision of my son that I hope to never experience again. (no picture here) His eyes were taped, they had the tube thing coming out of this mouth, lines hooked up to his IV and arm. It was alarming and I thought I was going to vomit right there. But the doctors were very good, explained each step, showed us his xrays, and said they’d be out soon. My heart was racing fast and furious.

Monkey’s procedure took longer than expected with a few curve balls thrown in the midst of it. Here he is coming out of anesthesia and Mr. Dunbar holding him.

IMG_6436

Friday afternoon the minutes just ticked by. Monkey was really dizzy and grumpy for the first few hours. He couldn’t watch TV or really do anything because he was seeing double and each time he would get up he’d fall right back down. But as the hours progressed and we got some food in him, Monkey started to come around.

The doctor called me around 7pm and I expressed my concerns over Monkey’s recovery and he reassured me that Monkey would only feel better since all of the infection had been taken out of his mouth. He was was so right.

The next morning this is what he looked like. Himself.IMG_6444

IMG_6442 IMG_6449

And since Monkey was pretty upset that his brother was at Grandma and Papa’s house for the weekend we let him go as well. He begged and begged for hours. Finally Mr. Dunbar and I figured he’d be happier there then home.

We high tailed it to our annual Marriage Getaway. This was the 7th year in a row we’ve gone and seriously it is such a great investment even though we missed about half of the conference.

Saturday afternoon we made it to one morning session and then it was Date Day. We had a great Pho lunch with one of my oldest friends and her husband. Then Mr. Dunbar and I vedged out in our hotel room. We seriously watched Bull Durham and laughed over and over at the silly 80’s jokes. It was such a luxury to just “be,” with no interruptions or butt’s to wipe or anybody making demands. It was especially nice since we were both so exhausted after a stressful super busy week, I fell asleep and by the time I woke up it was Dinner Party time. I even let Mr. Dunbar wear jeans, even though I guess somewhere in the directions it said, No jeans. (Sorry, Bill- There’s always next year.)IMG_6455b

Here I am with my Comrade of Comrade’s. The woman who seriously has invested hours and hours and has poured buckets of love and time (along with her husband) mentoring Mr. Dunbar and myself in our marriage. She’s one of my best friends. She offers grace like no other. She does everything intentionally. Last week was a crazy week for her and she still made the time to call and email and say “What do you need help with? What can we do for you since Mr. Dunbar is out of town?” (Hugs, E!)IMG_6454b

And here I am in the Ladies Room with some of our other friends who are great also. They thought I was nuts taking photos in the bathroom.IMG_6459

IMG_6460

My dress was NOT that short when I bought it. The belly is hiking it up. And the shoes, were purchased way before I knew I was preggo for this specific Dinner Party night; they were actually pretty comfortable.

Anyhow, our church does a great job every year of putting this weekend on for us Married Peeps. There’s a floating saying around here, “Spending $350 on your marriage before it goes bad, is a lot cheaper than divorce.” The weekend isn’t even all about taking a bad marriage and making it better, its about taking a good marriage and making it great. The weekends are always a lot of fun as well.

IMG_6467b

Today (Sunday) we were awoken by somebody else's kids playing outside of our hotel room door at 7am or so. Seriously? Seriously! So we got dressed and came home.

This was our shortest Marriage Getaway ever. But again so worth it.

Then of course when we got home reality set; laundry, groceries, chores, and bills to pay.

But I’m hanging on tight to the high of a God who gives us grace, a son who is healthy, a husband who loves me, and parents who take care of my hooligans.

~mrs. dunbar

11 comments:

Amber said...

Your hooligans were a riot yesterday! You would have never thought just hours before Monkey was in surgery. He even managed to show me a few tricks I'm sure he has learned from his Daddy! Boys...

Glad you and S got recharged, even if it was a bit shorter than normal.

hugs

Cathy said...

what a week! so glad Monkey is okay and things got taken care of. yes, seeing them wheeled off to surgery is the absolute worst (even though we are ever so thankful for hospitals and such) LOVE the pic of you and E! I should print that out and frame it ("oh, those two are my Cali friends!") lol Glad you got away...what a wonderful way to look at the money you spent! Here's to a calm and healthy week! (rockin' shoes by the way!) xoxo

Lori said...

getting away as a couple is so important especially when you have little ones. my hubby and I try to get at least a night or two away a year.

glad things went well with the surgery. hope that's the end of it

Genn said...

Glad you son's procedure went well. That sounds very stressful and nerve wracking. I don't like the thought of my kids being put under at all either. Glad he's okay!

jen@odbt said...

So glad Monkey's procedure went well. I could not even go into the OR when my oldest had surgery...made hubbie go and he hates all things hospital. Vavavoom - hot momma! You look amazing!

Ali said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! I'm glad that all went well with Monkey. Those things can be so scary.
It looks like you guys had a great little get away. You looked beautiful in your cute, little short dress, and your shoes were very sassy!! I DON'T know how you even walked in them :0)

Kerri said...

So glad your son's procedure is over and he is feeling better! The 4th picture got me a little teary over here. What a trooper monkey is!

And good for you for still being able to make it to at least part of your marriage weekend. I love when you said it's about turning a good marriage into a great one....love that!

The Salinas Family said...

Super scary seeing your kiddo like that. At least with Kai I didn't see him with the tape or the tubes. I'm sure that was hard. GLAD he is okay and smiling again! And....what a great picture of you and Scott! XO.

jules said...

That is so nerve racking sending your child in for surgery. I think it is harder on us parents than the kids. It's so nice that he was feeling better so soon.

Seizing My Day said...

So glad monkey is feeling himself and doing well! That is So hard watching little ones go under! been there a few times myself! =)

and your time away sounds wonderful!! I hope we can manage a retreat like that one day!! We don't have local family that will take our kids... (sniff) =)

Mrs. C... said...

Mwah!!! At least our mutual cyber friends realize why I have been quite lately in bloggerland. Things will pick up I promise! So glad to see Monkey's smile, that is priceless right there.