Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Didn't even realize...

Do you know how fast you spend money and don't even know it? I am a master of this...
After reveiwing my week I realized that I spent money at Disneyland on Monday, between Fastrack, one churro, and one sandwich I spent $18, so I am going to deduct that from my $77. Now I have $58. See, I spend money and don't even realize it. Especially with things like Fastrack because it just beeps in your car's little sensor and you never really give it a second thought. Atleast I don't.


So I am going to have to get creative on ways to stretch my money for this month. Hmmm... I'm not very good at this. Spending money is usually a gig I am really good at, just ask Mr. Dunbar.


Just a few more details of my perameters for my No Spend July.

  • All of our bills are paid. Mortgage, insurance,utilities, etc.etc.

  • My goals for groceries and gas are to try and reduce them as much as possible. I normally spend between $100 and $125 at the grocery store each week. I spent $40 at Trader Joe's on Sunday. My MIL took my men shopping last Friday and they came home with tons of stuff, so that totally helped out- and none of them even knew I was planning to do this. (God is so good. Hooray for MIL's!!!)

  • Gas will definitely be harder because we have to drive everywhere in our area, but I'll be at my grandma's house for the next few days and there ain't nowhere to go over there. So that should stretch out the need for more gasoline by a day or two.

  • I am going to try and use up as much stuff as we have. Like toothpaste, hair stuff, and cleaning supplies. I have this thing with constantly buying new tubes of toothpaste and bottles of cleaning supplies. It totally borders on OCD.
  • My $100 has to cover anything that I would normally just swipe my debit card or AMEX for. I read this article on saving versus stretching your money and right now I am trying to do both. Stretch it until the end of the month and then whatever I don't spend, actually save it in the boy's accounts.

So that's my plan.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed :)

Cathy said...

I think we're twins separated at birth.

Ali said...

What an amazing challenge. How are you doing? I'd love to give that a try. Don't know if I could do it.

Mrs. C... said...

Wow!!! See that is where I couldn't do it, I would need the churro, or my little ones would, and therefore not be deducted because I would rationalize. I am very proud of you for being so focused on your goal and your vision.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! In this current economy, I, too, feel convicted about how I spend my money. Maybe I'll give this a try sometime soon. Let me know how it goes. And I owe you an e-mail. We are in swim lessons still next week, so maybe the following week we could get together.